Thursday, January 31, 2008

OH MAN!!!

Okay, so Rob is searching for his first church to pastor, right? Well, he has sent out like 15 resume/letters, and emailed several to churches we believe to be without a pastor. Well, last night we got home from AWANAS and he had an email from one we're very interested in. They want his doctrinal statement, his testimony, any other info he wants to share about himself and they want a recent sermon on DVD. Oh dear, gee, he doesn't have a church....HA! I called our pastor to let him know and he's gonna work it out. LOL! He said, "Tell Rob, start writing that sermon, I'll figure out the rest!!" HA. Well, needless to say, I'm excited. This is our (his) first response. I know it's a sort of form letter, but it is a form letter for people they're interested in! Not ones they want to blow off! HA! PRAY PRAY PRAY for us in this!!! Rob is so unhappy at Food-dog and he knows he's not where he should be! We need a church. He's ready, I'm ready. I pray all the time about this...in fact, last night I fell asleep mid-prayer and woke up starting a new one! It's a cute church in VA not too far from our parents, but far enough to give us space, independence and all that. Please join us in prayer asking for clarity, support in this process and a church! LOL!
Well, today I have three kids that don't belong to me! I'm sitting for a fellow homeschooling friend while she takes a test for college. We're having fun. We've been so productive today! My kids have actually been more attentive than usual. We're eating lunch and are gonna go to the park in a little while. I snuck up here to type while they're eating! It's fun having six kids! I felt like the little lady in the lunch room at public school dishing out food...course it's much better, yummier food!
RIght now I'm reading a couple books. Two for a class I'm taking (Church Ministry) and one for myself. One for class is called Fool's Gold by John MacArthur. It's good so far! He was talking about discrimination and how it's not a bad word! Currently it is used mostly in reference to race and equality stuff. Well, it's true meaning is "to make a disticntion". God calls us to do this everyday! We have to make a distinction between right and wrong, truth and lies, good and bad. This is known also as discernment. 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 says "test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil." This is a job that Christians must do daily and as parents (especially homeschooling ones), we have to figure out how to teach our children how to do it also. We must know the truth and proclaim it. We can accomplish this through study of GOd's word. The only way we can know if doctrine is sound is by self-study of the Word of God and prayer.
We cannot ask our kids to be satisfied with "because I said so" when told not to do something. This idea of discriminating and discernment is an important one we can use when explaining to our kids why somethings are not allowed. Macarthur tells us that in Titus 1:9 the Bible tells us that we shouldn't spend time studying error, we should shun it! In other words it's not necessary to know everything about witches and what they do to bring them the word of God. We don't have to study the Quran to argue against it or to bring the Love of God to Muslims. "Study truth. Hold fast the faithful Word. Then you will be able to both exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict."(Macarthur p. 32).
Well, it's too quiet downstairs...gotta go!
Julie

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Hey Julie!
We will be praying for you and Rob. This is so exciting....I can't wait to hear what happens. Oh yeah, put me up on your friends list, too. That's fine. Take care girl!